March 8th - May 11th, 2023
Newcomer Entrepreneurship Program
A hybrid ideation program to support newcomer entrepreneurs across Ontario
Compete for one of four grants worth $5,000 in funding!
The DMZ's Newcomer Entrepreneurship Program is a fully subsidized 10-week bootcamp that helps newcomers to Ontario develop capacity on the business fundamentals of starting a company within Canada.
Newcomers tap into their potential and learn how to develop and market business ideas with the help of their peers, industry mentors and successful entrepreneurs. This is an opportunity for newcomers to gain practical Canadian ecosystem knowledge and experience. Participants will ultimately have the opportunity to put into practice their learnings to develop companies solving the world's biggest problems, all while connecting with a community of like-minded individuals in the DMZ's office, in the heart of downtown Toronto.
This program has been subsidized by the generous sponsorship of the Future Skills Centre and a media sponsorship from Canadian Business.
What's in it for you?
- 1:1 mentoring with DMZ Program Leads
- Learn from successful newcomer entrepreneurs as they share their stories and lessons
- Customized workshops to help newcomers develop a successful business in Ontario
- 1:1 pitching coaching sessions with a DMZ expert
- Opportunities to engage with other motivated newcomers across Ontario
- An understanding of the Canadian funding landscape
- Access to a community of entrepreneurs and work space in the heart of downtown Toronto.
- Compete for one of four grants worth $5,000 of funding!
What you'll learn
Sales and negotiation
Insight into the Canadian ecosystem
Design Thinking methodology
And so much more
Week by week
Program Validation & PrototypingWeek 1: Entrepreneurship 101
Week 2: Design Thinking and Prototyping
Week 3: Validation and Customer Discovery
Go To MarketWeek 4: Messaging and Marketing
Week 5: Canadian Legal and Taxation Landscape
Week 6: Sales
Pitching & StorytellingWeek 7: Pitching
Week 8: Investors & Fundraising
Week 9: Leadership
Demo DayWeek 10: Program Finals
This is a competitive program. To be accepted, applicants must:
- Have at least one individual who can dedicate 2-4 hours a week to the program
- Be a driven, coachable, and collaborative team
- Be looking to develop a tech based company
- A newcomer to Canada (under 5 years landed)
- The ability to participate in in-person workshops and activities in Toronto
Ready to build?APPLICATIONS CLOSED
ADMISSIONApplications open Monday, January 23rd, 2023
Application DeadlineFebruary 24th
Application ResultsFebruary 28th
Interview DatesFebruary 20th - February 28th
Program OnboardingMarch 8th
Canadian Business is a progressive media brand for executives and entrepreneurs who want to do business better. It was founded in 1928 to cover the people, companies and ideas shaping the economy in Canada. Today, it is a valued resource for advice, insights, inspiration and networking opportunities, keeping pace with the rapidly shifting business landscape in this country. In October 2021, CB relaunched its print and digital platforms to reflect the new values, inclusive approaches and entrepreneurial spirit that is changing this country for the better.